Thursday, May 2, 2013

From 90s skirt to Boho bag

I feel bad that I don't have a "before" picture of the skirt (I hadn't planned on setting up this blog at the time), but let me give you an image- a bright red, knee length, cotton, wannabe pencil skirt...it screamed 90s to me. Anyway, here's how it looked after I was done with it :)
     Alright so...making it. Pretty much what I did (sorry I have no pics to help) was first I decided to use the waste band as the top of the bag.
    
      Since the skirt was kind of long, and I didn't want the bag too deep, I chopped some length off the bottom. I later used that material for the strap.
    
     ***For this bag I only used super glue- it's completely no-sew. (I was feeling lazy, leave me alone)***
  
    So anyway, I glued the new bottom of the skirt together making sure to fold in the corners to get a more rounded bottom as opposed to the square one I would have gotten.
   
    Then I took that left over bottom material, cut it so it wasn't a full circle anymore, folded it into thirds (hotdog style) and glued the two sides underneath.
  
   I then attached the strap to the bag and that was that. I tied a knot in the strap because it was a little too long for me, but that's all personal preference.
   
   Later (after losing my phone in the depths of my purse multiple times) I decided to add a pocket to the front. I cut a square piece from some lace I had laying around and hand stitched it to one side. (I originally glued this on too but the glue didn't like the lace).


And there you have it :) A nice, big,
boho bag :) I love it and use it tons!!

Thanks for looking! :)
~Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment