Friday, May 3, 2013

DIY high-low dress/skirt

Again, I am so sorry dear blog readers (does anyone really even read this? ...*shrug* oh well) this post does not have step by step pictures. It's another project I did before the blog idea, but it's easy enough so...bear with me. Alright here's how the finished product looks!

The length at the sides (and back but you obviously cant see that) is the original length of the dress. It was already on the shorter side (as far as high-low's go) so I didn't do too much altering. Alright, here's what you gotta do.

Put on the dress/skirt and decide where you want the new hemline to start. Mark that in the front middle of the dress (between your legs *snicker snicker*) with chalk/white crayon/a sewing pin, however you want to do it as long as you know what it is.

Take the dress off and fold it in half so the folds run vertically up and down the front and back of the skirt (the mark you made earlier should be sitting on the front fold) and the side seams line up in the middle. Pin at the seams (and a few other places toward the front if you want) just so the dress doesn't slip. You want the side seams to match up. Unless you're going for an a-symmetrical high-low...then by all means, ignore what I'm saying.

Now, starting at your mark, make a cut that arches all the way down to the side seam. It should look like a half rainbow shape. More than likely when you open the skirt you'll have a weird cut line in the front middle. It always happens to me, all I do is cut it again so it's even and pretty. Then I do the same thing with the rest of the new hemline, making sure the line is fluid. No funky cut lines for our lovely high-lows! 

If you decide to you can fold your new hemline under and give it a quick run through the sewing machine to finish it off, but me, I just left the edge raw. It looked fine to me :) And that's it! 

Thanks for looking! :)
~Shannon

1 comment: