Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fringe Scarf

So apparently fringe is making a comeback and I'm perfectly ok with that :) I saw something similar to this floating somewhere on the internet and decided to make one of my own out of, you guessed it, an old t-shirt! It's a pretty simple DIY so let's get started!

Alright so first you're going to want to grab a t-shirt you don't wear anymore in the color of your choice.
My color of choice is teal...obviously... :D

Next you'll want to make a cut from armpit to armpit
(this will give you lots of fabric to work with, better to have more)

Now, begin cutting your fringe on the raw edge
Leave a few inches at the top for the "scarf" part like so

Once you've cut all the way around give the pieces a tug

I suggest at this point to try on the scarf, odds are it will be a bit long.
Here's what I did.
Lift the back of the scarf until the front sits where you want it to.
Pinch the fabric at your neck (where the new back will be), remove, and pin where your fingers are.
Cut the scarf there to make it shorter, like this!

Now flip it around so it's inside out and sew up the sides

 At this point I decided to put in a few stitches to secure the top down.
With the scarf still inside out fold the seam down to the fringe and add 3 or 4 stitch points just so the seam will stay down and not be popping up into your face.

 Here's another thing I chose to do, but you can totally just leave the fringe as is.
I knotted the tops :) So if you wanna, follow my lead!

And there you have it! :) a lovely fringey scarf

As always, thanks for looking! :)
~Shannon



No comments:

Post a Comment